Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Watch it spin round to a beautiful "Oblivion"

Before I jump into talking about some games, I forgot to mention one thing about "Halloween 2". Any movie that has "Weird" Al Yankovic in a cameo appearance is made of complete and total win.  'Nuff said.

So anyway, last night I ended up finally beating "Fallout 3".  I think when the kid was talking about bad endings he was referring to "Fallout 3" instead of "Halloween 2".  The first ending, the one you get with the original game wasn't the best, but at least it gave you closure.  Once you buy the DLC "Broken Steel" though, you pick up after that ending to try and destroy the Enclave once and for all.  Once you play through the DLC and make your choice of what to do, the main storyline pretty much just stops there.  No ending movie, credits don't roll, nothing.  It was pretty disappointing and left me sitting there thinking "Was that it?".  I actually had to go online and read to see if I missed something, which I didn't.  On the bright side though, it does leave you with 2 new repeatable quests to keep doing, and it also lets you just able to go out and explore, kill stuff and maybe finish up any side quests you didn't get a chance to do beforehand.  I do plan on starting a new game of "Fallout 3" at some point though, so this time I can play through as an evil character.  There are also a few Xbox Live Achievements I missed out on this first play through that I would like to get as well, especially the Bobblehead achievement.

After loading up "Fallout 3" tonight and doing some housecleaning of my inventory and getting back to my house in Megaton, I was trying to decide what to play next.  I decided to pick up another epic game that I hadn't gotten around to finishing off yet, that game being "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion".  It was kinda nice to pick up "Oblivion" again.  I was definitely a little rusty at first, but after a few fights, I got back into the swing of things.  I did forget to repair my armor a lot longer then I would have liked though and did almost die at one point.  So I will be playing that until I beat both the "Shivering Isles" DLC quest and the main quest line, along with possibly some of the side quests I might have missed.  I imagine there might even be a waffle thrown in there at some point just for good measure.

4 comments:

  1. Awww...so for all that griping about Maho spoiling the ending (who ironically was griping about how lame the original ending was) the DLC only added a newer ending which was just as lame! ;_;

    Ah well, there are so many games out there that have excellent gameplay but an afterthought/seemingly tacked-on anticlimactic ending sequence that it just shows how little some gaming companies care about story. Or conversely how some games can be all about cinematic sequences and endings (Xenosaga, Variable Geo series, Ys series all come to mind) that the game itself seems crude/underdeveloped by comparison. :p

    For all its criticisms, at least Blizzard takes time to do it right on both sides of the equation, knowing that cinematics are key to pulling people into the game atmosphere and make them feel "rewarded for winning", but a nice tight gaming interface and responsive and fun gameplay are what keeps them playing in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I enjoyed the hell out of Xenosaga back in the day. And yeah I couldn't agree with you more about Blizzard. They should just stay away from putting any sort of release date out there, because then people just get pissed when they delay the game to make things that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice allusion to the eve 6 song. Dunno if you meant to do it or not, but nice none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah the song reference was definitely intentional. Nice catch Ruru!! :D

    ReplyDelete