Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Game day

Work has been beating my ass as of late, so I haven't got to play as much as I would like, but when I did get a chance to play, I made up for lost time.  Sunday was a "Shadow Complex" marathon for me, and eventually late Sunday night, I beat the game.  I really enjoyed that game, and have the opinion that that is the best game available from Live Arcade.  I will say that I haven't played games like "Castle Crashers" or "Braid" which have also gotten rave reviews from critics and players alike, but I really liked "Complex".  The backtracking got a little tedious at times, but you had to do a lot of the same in "Metroid" and "Castlevania" as well so I was expecting some of it going in.  The way they did it though in "Complex" made it not seem so bad.  For a Live Arcade game, I thought they did a really good job with the graphics, even though it is just a 2-D side scroller.  None of the mini-boss or main boss fights were too terrible, but I wasn't playing on the highest difficulty so I guess that was to be expected.  I will definitely be playing through this again, on a higher difficulty, and try and knock out some of the leftover achievements I missed out on.  That and the game is just plain fun.  And games like these always play through faster after the first time.

As I stated before, I was a huge fan of the first "Marvel Ultimate Alliance", so it shouldn't be a surprise that I picked "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2" last night, on the day of release.  Now granted, I didn't get a lot of time to play last night, but my initial impressions is "wow".  They took what worked in the first one, improved upon it and gave it a serious graphic overhaul.  It looks amazing up to this point.  I am really looking forward to jumping into this game a lot more over the next days and weeks to come.  One thing that will be interesting is what kind of DLC they will release for this game.  For the first game, they released some hero and villain playable character packs, and I imagine they will do the same thing for this one. 

The movie scene has been pretty slow as of late, but the previews I have been seeing for "Pandorum" look pretty interesting.  It looks like a cross between "Event Horizon" and "The Decent".  And if it is half as good as either of those, I can't wait. 

1 comment:

  1. I am guessing the DLC for MUA2 will be mostly centred around new playable (and system-specific) charas, at least that was how it was in previous versions if I remember correctly.

    The real appeal of MUA though, I think, is the multiplayer aspect so I hope you do get to play with other people. ;_; Ever since the very first games in the series (I think X-Men Legends and X-Men Legends II) the game has been about team ups, multiplayer, and playing to unlock outfits and variant costumes LOL. :p So hopefully you get that multiplayer thing if only through XBLive.

    Admittedly, when I first saw X-Men Legends back in the day I loved the idea and knew the story writers put a lot of love into it, as the gameplay really reflected the storylines at the time...but much like the first Madden games to go 3-D and not use sprites or digitally-captured images, it seemed so clunky. I am glad that they really cleaned things up mo-cap-wise and the characters move a bit more naturalistically in MUA2!

    ReplyDelete