Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Before I talk about what I was gonna talk about, I would like to give a big {Thank you.} {Incredibly tough} {Puppetmaster} to my good friend Oprahruru.  He posted a "Trea-bute to Tri-bor" on his blog, gathering together a bunch of quotes I've made over the years in FFXI.  So I recommend taking a peek as they are pretty funny, and for me personally, brought back a lot of memories from my days in FFXI.  Here is a link to his blog, Master of Manipulation.

Now onto what I'm gonna talk about.  Ever since I first saw the teaser trailer for "Halloween 2", which starts this weekend, I've been looking forward to this movie.  But that's not the only sequel starting this weekend, as the fourth movie in the "Final Destination" series starts Friday as well.  The first "Halloween" that Rob Zombie directed 2 years ago ended up being a really good movie, going much deeper into why Michael Myers became what he did.  I had quite a few reservations as to what to expect with Mr. Zombie trying to re-envision an all-time classice like the original "Halloween", but I definitely think he did it justice, which is why I will be there at some point this weekend to see how he tackles the sequel. 

Sequels have always been intriguing to me.  Some of them can be as good if not better then the originals.  "Aliens" and "The Empire Strike Back" are two that come to mind off the top of my head.  Then there are some sequels that are just trash and shouldn't have been made in the first place.  All the "Friday the 13th" movies after "Friday the 13th, The Final Chapter" and "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch" are just a few examples.  One gripe I do have is, especially in the case of the "Friday the 13th" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street" is when is it enough.  I keep waiting for them to come out with a Friday the 13th where Jason has to go collect his Social Security check, or buys a cup of coffee with his AARP card.   Sometimes beating a dead horse is kinda pointless, but if there is a buck to be made I guess we will keep seeing movies in the series. 

Another thing I noticed, is that some of the best sequels of all-time are part of a trilogy.  It seems that 3 is the magic number when it comes to movies.  Both sets of "Star Wars" trilogies, the "Godfather" trilogy (which I am almost ashamed to say I have yet to watch any of the "Godfather" movies), the "X-Men" trilogy, and in my opinion, the best trilogy of all-time "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.  Granted, some movie franchises have done quite well with extending past the trilogy, with the "Spider-Man" and "Die Hard" series both highly successful and with good films.

Ironically, this post will have a sequel as well, once I get around to talking about sequels in video games.  And I am pretty sure that post will be as good if not better then the original.  I just hope I can afford to bring back the original cast.....

6 comments:

  1. Here's a few where i thought the sequel was better than the original. Terminator II, Superman II. Ok, so i only got a couple, not quite a few.

    I do have to agree with you though, when is enough enough? I mean, Saw is up VI (6)!!!!! i mean, how many crazy messed pathological thrillers do we really need? Do they really offer us anything different? Are there really that big of an audience out there that warrants them to make some many after the other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think the Spiderman movies had gone past 3 yet. But I also live under a rock, sometimes anyway.

    Sequels better than the original... I can't really think of any.

    Actually, the thing I hate is what Lola and you already commented on. Movies that are so similar that it's really unnecesary for them to make another.

    Such as: Final Destination - I mean how many times can you watch people die in creative ways, seriously.
    American Pie - Really? Really?! I mean there are spin-offs of it like American Pie: Band Camp. I think we need to take the series behind the woodshed and shoot it dead.
    The Fast and The Furious - Woo racing cars, if I really cared that much I'd be a nascar fan. I mean seriously, the plot in these movies is more asinine than the Dora The Explorer episode plots.

    Oh, I thought of a sequel that was worse than the original - Transformers. Yup. I went there. Don't get me wrong, the CGI is AMAZING - but the plot was even more pitiful than the first, and that's saying something.

    Now that you're in a fiery rage since I've picked on a favorite movie of yours I'll say adieu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I forgot. I saw an advertisement on the television for a movie called Sorority Sisters. Or something like that. Anyway, the premise of the story is that these sisters killed one of their sisters and now someone is going around killing them....

    Can you say 'I know what you did last summer' knock-off? I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I forgot to mention Terminator 2 and Superman 2. Those were definately both better then the originals. Oprah, you are correct. The Spider-Man movies arent up to #4 yet, but it is coming out eitehr next year or in 2011....I was just looking ahead is all. I am a big fan of the Saw series, and its been a tradition the past 6 years to go see the new Saw movie opening day, but yeah that series needs to come to an end soon.....meaning this year lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All i can say is that i saw most of SAW I, which i couldn't stomach. It's like intentionally watching a pedodiliac movie, not my cup of tea....

    Total non-sequeter..... saw (past tense of see) and saw (tool used for cutting trees and wood) WTF?!?!?!? i HATE english!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pedofiliac*

    See! i really do hate english!

    ReplyDelete